Do you want a healthy pregnancy?
- Do you smoke?
- Struggle with weight?
- Are you diabetic?
- Have gestational diabetes?
Make an appointment to see your GP/practice nurse to get support. They can help you improve your health now and the health of your future family.
To be as healthy as you can be – download the Planning For Pregnancy App
Your health now affects the health of you and your family in the future.
Preparing for pregnancy
Mental Health Support
- Walsall Talking Therapy Service (NHS Talking Therapies)
NHS talking therapies can help you if you’re struggling to cope with feelings of anxiety or depression. Rest assured it’s totally confidential. You can self-refer by calling 0800 953 0995, emailing email@example.com, or complete a form online at https://www.blackcountryhealthcare.nhs.uk/walsall-talking-therapies
Find out more: www.nhs.uk/talk
WPH offer a specialist service relative to pregnancy (Walsall Pregnancy Help) and a general counselling service and educational service (WPH Counselling and Education Services). Their services are totally unbiased and are there to meet the needs of all, Appointments can be arranged either through direct referral from statuatory organisations or by telephone contact or email. Telephone: 01922 649000 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For further information about supporting your mental health before, during and after pregnancy, see
Healthy Lifestyles Services (includes support for healthy weight, safe alcohol intake, quitting smoking before pregnancy
- One You Walsall is a free healthy lifestyle service dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of all residents across Walsall. Our services are here to help you make great choices in your lifestyle including: physical activity; healthy eating; weight loss; emotional wellbeing; welfare; alcohol reduction; quitting smoking; NHS Health Checks; We can support everyone – adults, families and workplaces – and are also here to help you to find the right support. For more information:
One You Walsall | Mytime Active
01922 444 044 Mon to Fri 9am to 6pm
Healthy Start Vitamins and Food Vouchers for eligible families
If you’re pregnant or have children under the age of 4 you can get free vouchers or payments every 4 weeks to spend on:
- cow’s milk
- fresh, frozen or tinned fruit and vegetables
- infant formula milk
- fresh, dried, and tinned pulses
You can also get free Healthy Start vitamins.
Eating a healthy, varied diet in pregnancy will help you get most of the vitamins and minerals you need. But when you’re pregnant, or there’s a chance you might get pregnant, it’s important to also take a folic acid supplement. It’s recommended that you take:
- 400 micrograms of folic acid every day – from before you’re pregnant until you’re 12 weeks pregnant
This is to reduce the risk of problems in the baby’s development in the early weeks of pregnancy.
It is also recommended that you take a daily vitamin D supplement.
Your local pharmacist will be able to provide and advice on vitamins required when planning a pregnancy